Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Cheeky Monkey

This was a speech I had to write and present to my classmates. I can tell ya, there wasn't a dry eye in the class. :-) The words in itialics are currently added.

Commemorative Speech

First of all, I just want to say that this was one of the hardest speeches for me to work on. Mainly because I knew who I wanted to commemorate but I wasn’t sure how to go about it. So, the speech you’re about to hear is one that comes from a place of love, and lots of care.

Ethan Cecil Stidham’s birth was a scary one for all involved, and for those waiting in anticipation of his arrival and with all the love and care given, he was nursed back to good health. Ethan was the first son of Chris and Lynn Stidham. He grew up with parents who loved and adored him. Two years after Ethan was born, his brother; Aaron Richard Stidham came along. Now Ethan would have someone he could pick on and eventually play with.

Ethan was a smart and intelligent human being who was loving and caring. He was a ray of light for all who knew him. As a little boy, I would take him to the zoo as often as I could and when he turned 7, his parents and I took him on vacation to the San Diego Zoo. Growing up, Ethan always had a way with animals. He seemed to understand them and v/s. He always took time out for himself and for those in need. He was a well-rounded individual who excelled in everything he did. He played football in high school; just like his dad, and baseball and basketball. After high school, he chose Purdue University to get his degree in Aeronautical Engineering. While attending Purdue, he met a woman whom he married after courting for 2 years. They both graduated from Purdue and waited a few years before starting a family.

When their first child arrived, there were a few late nights for both parents. And because Ethan was a devoted husband and father, he always made time for his family. So, if that meant he was up all night with the baby, and had to go into work the next day with no sleep, then that is what he did.

Ethan enjoyed fishing and hunting with his father and brother, he enjoyed vacations with his family and he enjoyed hanging out with his friends. He was a responsible man, with a dedication and a devotion to all that knew him. He had honesty about him that most found refreshing, and a charisma about him that people were drawn to. He was funny, kind, warm, and an outstanding human being. He was a man I was proud to know and a man whom I adored watching grow up. But this is just what I saw in him.

Ethan meant many things to many people when he was born. For my sister, he was her little boy. For my brother-in-law, he was his legacy. For both of them, Ethan was their pride and joy. As for the grandparents, he was the first grandchild born and would be the first to be spoiled rotten.

Ethan was born into a family that had many high hopes and dreams for him. Yes, he would have his moments of disappointment; whether it was his disappointment or his parents, but all in all he was a good kid.

Ethan was born August 18th, 2005 and passed away 12 days later on August 30th. Although it is true he never got to live the life I just described to you, it was the life I saw for him, and I’m sure it’s not too far off from what his parents had envisioned for him. So, I dedicate this speech to Ethan Cecil; my nephew, and my cheeky little monkey.

Created 3/220/08

No comments:

Post a Comment